Tuesday 10 January 2017

SOUVENIR FROM ZURU ZOME’S REINCARNATE By U. S. Machika

SOUVENIR FROM ZURU
ZOME’S REINCARNATE
By
U. S. Machika

The major reason for travelling to Zuru was mainly to attend the Inaugural Meeting for HOPEFORLELNA, now ZURU PROGRESSIVE INITIATIVE – ZUPI. In fact, based on the current recession and other considerations, I decided not to attend the meeting. However, one of my elder brothers in the forum insisted that I must be there even if it would take him to either ‘export’ or ‘import’ me depending on where he was at the time, he will do it. So, to be on the safe side, I decided to carry myself before I became Buhari’s Umaru Dikko – Diplomatic Baggage to Zuru. Actually, I had no option. However, I decided to just find my bearings and square root. Thank God I took that decision, or else, I might not have gotten this souvenir to present to you.
It took voting to get Zuru to host the inaugural meeting. Our intention was to host the meeting in Kaduna or Abuja. The reason was to ensure a near 100% attendance. Those out of security establishments do not know of the “no leave, no pass” travelling curfew often barring Officers and men from leaving their bases at festive and tensed period. We were sure many of our members in uniform may not be there because of the present security challenges. But, what could you have said to Ibrahim Doro’s emotive cries? With Talatu Maganas sombre sobering, even the elders knew, they have to change course and allow Zuru to host the meeting, no matter how poor the attendance. So, there we were.
I am not starting with the baptismal of fire I receive on my approach to Ribah through Maga with my tyre burst. Doro would simply say, yours is only once, we experience that on daily basis.  Actually, that was somehow expected. The poor road network as death traps is an open secret and a good tasty souvenir any day.  However, that and many others can wait another day. A single episode that consumed my being in Zuru was the story of a young lad and his dynamic exploits as a career development agent for many of the Zuru unemployed or underemployed. He has made a successful mark where many elders or those in position either failed or out rightly refused to attempt. I have heard the story of the same young man many times over, by different people, sometimes from opposing spectrum.
For instance, when the issue of membership between the high and mighty, men and women of timber and caterpillar and the upcoming youths almost polarised the forum, somebody championing the cause of the youths to be in the forum cornered me alone and narrated the story of the young man to me. He told me that the work the young man did in the area of assisting many in Zuru to gain employment, many of the ‘so called’ elders and leaders did not achieve. He felt that was enough to qualify all youths to be in the forum. It was the first time I heard the story of this young man in regards to how he helped many unemployed secure employment or some in the employed of the State to transfer their appointments to the Federal level. It was before the inaugural meeting.
Hours later, after the inaugural meeting, an elder to illustrate why not all youths need to be in the forum at this developmental stage, repeated the same story, which I heard earlier of the young man, insisting that only such exceptions should be considered. He went on to tell us how the young man always calls on him when he heard of job openings. ‘The young man will call me and tell me to please search from Zuru for people with such and such qualifications or bias for the vacancies advertised.’ He told us of a large number that secured employment through the young man. That was the second time I was listening to the same story.
Just hours later, I again heard the same story from another a young man. He told me of the outstanding work of this champion again. His story was not related to either for or against the youths in the forum. His story came to buttress how to empower the youths from their present quagmire of unemployment. It was from him that I heard of “high Profile Jobs” the young man assisted in gaining for Zuru youths. Not just any jobs – ‘high profile jobs’ he insisted. It was my third time of hearing the same story of the young man. All of a sudden, in that broad day light, Nathaniel Zome appeared before me with a broad smile and said to me “Machika, I told you, didn’t I? I am not dead, my work lives on, there are many like him, just search and put your ears to the ground, you will find the young man’s type abounds in Zuru”. With such a loud voice from Zome, I looked at my two friends, they were chatting ideally, which means that they have not seen nor heard the Sarkin Yakin Zuru. I then realised that it was just a reverie.
It was at that juncture that I made up my mind to dig more about the young man and present this as a souvenir to you. Hoping it will reenergize many like him to always plant good seeds, for the harvest to be bountiful. I hope and pray, we will be our brothers’ keepers. I then asked the friend who coined ‘high profile jobs’, if he knew the young man well. He said not much, but he could link me with someone who can help. He called the PA to the father of the young man. The guy was more secretive than the grave, so I did not get anything from him despite his promise to get me some information the following day. I am aware of how people are scared of writings and writers. That reminded me of the sad story of how Senator Bala Ibn Na’Allah got scared of my wanting to present his scorecard, it is another souvenir for another day, I promise.
Back to my present souvenir, Zome appeared to me again with a daunting smile, ‘so, what will you write now’ and I boldly told him ‘I am not done yet’. The following day, very early in the morning I received a visitor and we got talking. Again, the story of the young man prominently featured for the fourth time. And my visitor came up with another captivating phrase. He said to me, the young man just married last year or so, but he was able to help in employing ‘many graduates’. On the evening of that day, again I found myself in the midst of some youngsters of the forum, the story of ‘Zome’s reincarnate’ as I have started calling the young man came up again. This time around with a bitter tinge, the youths felt that some of those who benefited from the young man’s employment or transfer of service have already forgotten their humble beginning. Again, I received a narrative of many who were employed through him, “including so so and so who forgot how difficult it is for people to cough up the forum’s prescribed registration fee. That man five years ago could not have spoken the way he did at the meeting. All thanks to the young man”.
Hmmm! Zome’s reincarnate!! Interesting!!! I did not hear most of the deliberations after that because I was cogitating and at every turn, Zome appeared to me. Yes, he has the right to taunt me on this. In search of more information, this time around I was the one who brought the young man’s topic to another friend. Again, I received a lecture on the exploits of the young man.
In all ramifications, Zome was the true custodian of Bawa Makuku’s leadership baton in Zuru. He lived for Zuru, slaved for Zuru, worked for Zuru, bled and died for Zuru on the work of Zuru, while on Zuru’s active service – he was Sarkin Yakin Zuru. Hmmm, it is true, the people’s champion, the galvanizer of Zuru’s support, the warrior of “Zuru’s no retreat, no surrender” is not dead or rather; his reincarnates abound in our midst.
Unfortunately, those concerned with assisting their people into appropriate career development are in short supply in Zuru. I am aware of a few cases. The only other exception I could find is Senator Danladi Bamaiyi who took up Samuel Debte from a field journalist to National Assembly where he rose to a Clerk, National Security and Intelligence Committee. Danladi Bamaiyi possibly led the pack. Yes, there is no doubt about it; Danladi Bamaiyi was possibly the only politician of Zuru extraction to this day. His selfless management of both human and material resources was next to none in Zuru. Justice Danlami Bala Senchi (Wazirin Zuru) to a certain extent had towed Zome’s line too in assisting indigenes of Zuru to secure State and national appointments. Similarly, Prof. Kaoje as the Vice Chancellor of Kebbi State University and later the Minister of Science and Technology served Zuru in this regards, no doubt. Many where employed through his fearless brand of leadership.
 Hon. Abdullahi Dan’alkali, (Durumbun Zuru) had equally done well. He helped secured appointments for many while a member of the National Assembly. It was a known fact that Durumbu had used his personal money to secure appointments for many youths, aside using the paraphernalia of his office. I know of Dr Gona’s ambush to General Ishaya when the indigenes of Zuru with better qualifications where sidelined, not even shortlisted for interview before the take off of Federal University Birnin Kebbi. Gen. Ishaya had flown that day to Sokoto and drove to Birnin Kebbi unscheduled because of Gona’s commando approach just to ensure that our young men were considered for employment. I was moved to the point of tears of joy when I heard of the assistance another dynamic youth – John Saleh Beneh have been rendering to his neighbour and the needy in Zuru. I met this humble character and I knew Zome is right. The contribution of Senator Bala Ibn Na’allah in bringing Adamu Deborah Chonoko, Zuru’s first female Pilot is appreciated. That’s that! NONE close to Zome or the present ‘reincarnate of Zome’, may be a pocket of one chanced employment, here and there.  
I remember the first time I got myself into trouble with the power brokers of Zuru was when I mentioned this in public. One of them is yet to forgive me. When my book was sent to him for vetting, he vehemently, refused to associate himself with it just because years back I stated that 

Nathaniel Zome was the only leader in Zuru who empowered and facilitated the appointment of not fewer that seventy nine (79) Directors and Permanent Secretaries at both the Federal and State Government levels. Some of his protégés include, Mr. Benjamin Dikki, (Magajin Rafin Zuru), Alhaji Ibrahim Mori Baba, (Barden Zuru), Mr. Samuel Debte, Mr. Emos Sakaba, Mr. Yohana Audu, Amb. Thomas Dogonyaro, Hon. Abdullahi Dan’alkali, (Durumbun Zuru), Mr. Joseph Gabadi, to mention but just a few. Mr. Nathaniel Zome also laid the solid foundation of the history of Zuru. He was the people’s champion; the warrior of “Zuru’s no retreat, no surrender.” Such was Zome, fittingly in Bawa Makuku’s shoes. Zome, even death, had to prove his faithfulness to Zuru. He died in active service to Zuru’s course, when he was needed most by the people.  

With my souvenir from Zuru now, I wonder how many others I would offend. However, as a young craftsman, learning the trade of writing, I was tutored that the intent of unearthing some bitter truth is not to humiliate, mock or degrade but rather to illuminate so as to ginger, motivate and galvanise those with opportunities or who may come into opportunities to know that history is indeed watching, good or bad. Even today, precisely by 12:45pm, I received a text message from Amb. Thomas Dogonyaro: “Good afternoon. Please forward to me the electronic copy of the history book for the editor’s use. Thanks. STD”. The truth is the bitter truth offends only a few and humbles many and motivates them to take positive actions. The truth is sought after by many. As for me, it has endeared me to many at all strata in Zuru. So, I can do with the few it offends.
The truth is, this young man just on the starting blocks of his career. He is yet to be considered successful in careerism, another area I offended many big men in Zuru who think as tin gods because of careerism. Careerism is not a word. It is a field of study. It would be another story for another day. For now, the young man is so short in career rank that he has to climb on the shoulders of those who attained high ranks in their careers to pluck ripe employment for others. He does not wait for overripe employment to fall from the treetops. He climbed the trees himself. Where the trees adorn with bountiful fruits of employment are too tricky to climb, he uses ladders or climb on the shoulders of big men. He was just one of the numerous staff of a consultancy firm, without a proper employment himself until two months ago. Yet, it is the song of this young man that did not let me have a sound sleep in Zuru.
The truth is, it takes much more than mere information to secure employment anywhere in the world. It takes some technicalities and some prerequisite. In one of my postings to the forum, I made it clear that posting vacancies is not enough, this young man proved it right. There are agencies charging huge fees for employment in Saudi Arabia, Europe and America. Many others are there just for foreign admissions and scholarship. So, pasting advertorials and vacancies is indeed not enough if we actually want to help. ‘Zome’s reincarnate’ had gone beyond copying and pasting employment vacancies to actually following up to ensure successful appointments for many who would have been lost should they have been presented with mere vacancy advertorials.
The truth is if all the Zome’s protégés, equally mentors one or two in their respective offices, which is in tandem with public service regulations (they are entitled to retinue of personal staff), Zuru would have been better. But, no! They prefer non-Zuru indigenes as their personal staff. Grooming others, instead of theirs! I am not saying unequivocally that this is thoroughly exhausted. We are still digging into statistics. Something may come up again. But for now, this is my findings. As expected there may be cases of some getting their family members appointments, which do not fall in this category.
The truth is those who felt angry that I did not acknowledge the efforts they did in recruiting many of Zuru’s youths, did not understand. They did not recruit Zuru youths into ‘high profile jobs’, their contributions in this regards fell below recruiting ‘graduates’ from Zuru. It is not the same as in the case of this ‘Zome’s reincarnate’. I think it was in 2007 that I heard of ‘golden votes’ in reference to PDP’s votes in Daura because of Gen. Buhari. Every vote there was tagged ‘golden’. That is how I think of every appointment the reincarnate of Zome secured on behalf of Zuru.
Let me make it abundantly clear that I have never met this dynamic youth. In fact, before my trip to Zuru I was angry with him because he happened to be in my committee of Constitutional drafting and he had not contacted me even once. I was told he was ‘busy’ and naturally I classified him as one of those ‘spoilt ajibos’. I immediately understood and forgave his error when it was announced in the forum that his wife delivered. Yes, your guess is as good as mine, his first child. That is how young he is. Yet in the area of serving his people, he surpassed the politicians, both those with and those without portfolios. He surpassed technocrats and those at the top of careerism. 
Keep it up boy. May the stars before you, beneath you, above you and beside you guide you in the work you choose for yourself – the work of being there for others. Keep Zome’s flag flying, as he kept Bawa Makuku’ shoe clean.
The truth is I am pleased to bring this to you as a souvenir from Zuru. Yes, you now know that my “ZOME’S REINCARNATE” is no other than BAR. MICHAEL ANGO. MICA as he is popularly called. Young man be proud of your modest achievements.  
The truth is, another souvenir is coming your way soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment